Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Happy Thanksgiving Cookies



So, if you didn't know Thanksgiving is tomorrow, TOMORROW!
For the last five or six years we have had Thanksgiving at our house, but this year we are having it at my Grammies. Not having so much preparation to do has really made it sneak up on me.
I wanted to do something quick and easy, yet festive, and I think these cookies are perfect for a last minute Thanksgiving treat.

For the Cookies:

3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup Almond Meal
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Sticks Salted Butter
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla
1/2 Teaspoons Almond Extract

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, and spices.
In large mixing bowl beat room temperature butter until smooth. Add the sugar, and beat until fluffy, about four minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time to the butter mixture, beating well after adding each egg.
Beat in the vanilla and the almond extract.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing at a low speed until the flour is completely combined.
Form the dough into two sections and refrigerate for an hour.
Preheat the over to 350f.
Roll out the cookie dough to 1/4 inch thickness, and cut out the forms. I used cookie cutters I got at Walmart that are made Wilton.
Place the cookies on a cookie sheet about a inch apart( these don't raise much) and bake for about six minutes or until the cookies are set. I really wanted the cookies to be a little bit chewy so I didn't let them get golden.
Place cookies on a cooling rack, and cool completely before decorating.

Royal Icing

5 Egg Whites
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
4 Cups Powdered Sugar
Food coloring of your choice

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites and vanilla until frothy.
Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, whisking in after each addition.
If you want your icing to be really white you can add a couple of drops of lemon juice, but I skipped this because I am coloring my icing.
Now its time to ice!
I outline the shape I want the icing to be, let it set for a minute or so, and then fill it in with the same color.



The cookie, and the royal icing recipes originally come from The Nerdy Nummies cook book my lovely sister gave me for my birthday.
I had a lot of fun making these cookie, I don't feel like my  icing job came out that well but oh well. They taste good and look cute, so that's all that matters.
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment