Pages

Monday, March 14, 2016

Almond Buttercream Cake

I know I haven't posted anything in a while, and I'm sorry. I have been having a bit of trouble with my computer so I am having to do this on my Kindle, so please forgive if the form is a little off.
I made this cake last weekend, and I can still tast it! I was so happy to get a chance to make this cake. Because I wasn't making it for anybody's birthday I was able to pick any thing I wanted. which is quite a treat. 
So while I was brain storming for Ideas, I rememberd some almond buttercream cupcakes I made a while back. And I decided to  make it into a cake.
I used Willton's recipes for the butter cake and the buttercream frosting you can find them here, and here.
                                     

                                                                                                                       

                                                        

                                                         

                                                         

                                                        

                                                       
 The only thing I changed about the recipes is that I used more almond extract and less vanilla.
                                                      

                                                     

                                                    

                                          

                                                      

                                                     

                                                                                                    

                                                                   

                                                      

                                               
 I usually double the frosting recipe for this cake and I have the perfect amount.
                                                              

                                                                 

                                               

                                                          
 Make sure you use the same amount of frosting between each layer of cake. It doesn't have to be much probably about a 1/4 of an inch.
                                          
 After I like to do a thin layer of frosting, then I take a piece of parchment paper and smooth it out. Then I let it set for about 15-20 minutes.
                                                         
 Then I finish frosting the cake. Yay!
                                                           
 As far as decorations go, I used unsalted almonds, and dipped them in white candy melts. I chose dip my almonds twice, just to make sure they were completely covered. Then I used the extra candy melts and almonds to make a almond bark.
                        

                                    

                                              

                                                  I lined the base of the cake with the coated almonds, then I broke the almond bark into little pieces.          
                                              
And covered the entire side with the bark. And  added the Junior mints along the top edge. And added a little of the left over bark in the center.                                                       
  I think this is the best looking cake I've made so far.
I would highly recommend marking this cake a couple of days in advance, and make sure you let it get up to room temperature before serving.
I hope you have a great day.
Anna.

No comments:

Post a Comment